Title: Grassroots Outreach Intern/Volunteer
Breast Cancer Action is seeking a motivated and detail oriented individual to work in collaboration with program staff to work on planning member outreach and recruitment strategies. Intern/voluteer will be involved in engaging members, building a database of activists and recruiting members for events. This is an exciting opportunity to be involved in engaging Breast Cancer Action’s diverse national membership.
Organization: Breast Cancer Action (BCAction) is a national breast cancer education and advocacy organization. We carry the voices of people affected by breast cancer to inspire and compel the changes necessary to address and end the epidemic. BCAction is committed to taking meaningful action to meet the needs of women living with breast cancer and to stop breast cancer before it starts. We work to:
- Address and eliminate the social inequities women of color and low income women face in breast cancer diagnoses, treatments, and mortality rates.
- Advocate for more effective and less toxic breast cancer treatments for all breast cancers.
- Decrease involuntary environmental exposures that put people at risk for breast cancer.
An internship/volunteer position with BCAction provides the opportunity to learn more about the politics of breast cancer and to take part in grassroots women’s health and environmental activism. Interns/Volunteers will work at BCAction’s national office in downtown San Francisco. Interns/Volunteers participate in the day-to-day operations of the organization and are supervised by a program staff member who helps design and oversee intern/volunteer projects.
Tasks: The Grassroots Outreach Intern/Volunteer, in partnership with program staff, will:
- Identify upcoming events and plan outreach and recruitment strategies for each
- Cull lists (email and phone) of partners, activists and members for event, as needed
- Implement outreach and recruitment strategies: call and/or email activists, partners and members to recruit for events, as needed
- Build database of active BCAction activists, partners and members for future recruitment and outreach efforts
- Engage active BCAction activists, partners and members to participate in future online and off-line activities
- Interest in breast cancer and social justice
- Great attention to detail
- Ability to commit to a minimum of 10-15 hours per week
- Familiarity with Breast Cancer Action’s mission and priorities
Interns/Volunteers Will Have the Opportunity to:
- Develop skills in engaging members
- Support recruitment of partners, activists and members for events
- Work with dedicated, passionate non-profit staff members
- Gain a deeper understanding of the breast cancer epidemic through a social justice lens
- Gain professional development
Internship/Volunteer position dates: ongoing
Pay: This is an unpaid position. School credit may be available to current students.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualification for this position, along with your resume to Campaign and Policy Coordinator, Annie Sartor, at email@example.com or Education and Mobilization Coordinator, Sahru Keiser, at firstname.lastname@example.org.