Breast Cancer Action (BCAction) seeks a detail-oriented, highly motivated individual with excellent research and writing skills to work in collaboration with program staff to conduct a literature review of treatment options for the different types of breast cancer, and to create fact sheets on relevant topics. This is an excellent opportunity for the right individual to contribute to BCAction’s education program.
Organization: BCAction is a national breast cancer education and advocacy organization. We carry the voices of people affected by breast cancer to inspire and compel the changes necessary to end the epidemic. BCAction is committed to taking meaningful action to meet the needs of women living with breast cancer and to stop breast cancer before it starts. We work to:
- Address and eliminate the social inequities women of color and low income women face in breast cancer diagnoses, treatments, and mortality rates.
- Advocate for more effective and less toxic breast cancer treatments for all breast cancers.
- Decrease involuntary environmental exposures that put people at risk for breast cancer.
An internship/volunteer position with BCAction provides the opportunity to learn more about the politics of breast cancer and to take part in grassroots women’s health and environmental activism. Interns/Volunteers will work at BCAction’s national office in downtown San Francisco. Interns/Volunteers participate in the day-to-day operations of the organization and are supervised by a program staff member who helps design and oversee intern/volunteer projects.
Tasks: The Biology of Breast Cancer Research & Writing Intern/Volunteer, in collaboration with program staff, will:
- Research the different types of breast cancer and compile an annotated literature review of the treatment options for each, providing a description and evaluation of each source.
- Critically analyze gaps in the literature regarding current available treatments for different types of breast cancer and suggest future areas for research and development.
- Draft fact sheets on topics defined by the literature review.
- Other duties as necessary.
- Strong research and writing skills
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills
- Interest in the science of breast cancer
- Previous coursework and/or undergraduate or graduate degree in biology or other natural sciences strongly preferred
- Great attention to detail
- Ability to commit to a minimum of 15 hours per week
Interns/Volunteers Will Have the Opportunity to:
- Hone their research and writing skills
- Assist with the development of Breast Cancer Action fact sheets on the biology of breast cancer and treatment options for various types of breast cancer
- Work with dedicated, passionate non-profit staff members
- Gain a deeper understanding of the breast cancer epidemic through a social justice lens
- Gain professional development
- Potentially use research review and data for own research
Internship/Volunteer position dates: June – Sept 2012
Pay: This is an unpaid position. School credit may be available to current students.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualification for this position, along with your resume to Sahru Keiser, Program Associate of Education and Mobilization at email@example.com.