Work at Breast Cancer Action
Thank you for your interest in working at Breast Cancer Action! We currently have the following positions open.
Breast Cancer Action (BCAction) is seeking a talented, high-performing Development Director with a demonstrated track record of successful grassroots fundraising to join our dynamic and innovative team. The Development Director leads all fundraising efforts for this established and growing nonprofit, which just celebrated our 25th anniversary year.
BCAction is a national education and activist non-profit based in San Francisco, CA working to achieve health justice for all women at risk of and living with breast cancer. BCAction is the watchdog for the breast cancer movement and works to put women’s health first, before corporate profits. In our work to change the status quo, we launched our award-winning Think Before You Pink® campaign in 2002 and coined the term “pinkwashing” which is now a household word. We were the only breast cancer organization to serve as a plaintiff on the U.S. Supreme Court case outlawing patents on the human BRCA genes in 2013. Since our founding, we have brought our trusted voice to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to shift the balance of power from Big Pharma to patients. Our work has been featured in major media outlets across the country, including The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, The Guardian, the Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, Jezebel, and NPR. From our inception, we have been a national leader in advocating for the system-wide changes necessary to address and end the breast cancer epidemic. We are able to serve as the independent, trusted voice for women’s health because we have a strict conflicts of interest policy and never accept corporate funding from any corporation that profits from or contributes to cancer.
Position Overview and Functions
The Development Director will build on a strong organizational foundation of grassroots fundraising and a multi-year growth trajectory. The Development Director is responsible, working in partnership with the Executive Director, for ensuring sufficient resources to fulfill the five-year strategic plan and maintain balanced annual budgets. Key responsibilities include leading all fundraising activities and building on the fundraising successes of the organization to develop and implement a comprehensive, multi-year fundraising plan to grow the organization’s revenues.
The ideal candidate is able to develop and implement a successful fundraising strategy, combining deep knowledge of and experience with grassroots fundraising strategy with efficient execution of the day-to-day tasks required for successful individual donor management. In addition to a proven track record with individual donors at all levels, this candidate also has experience with grant writing, fundraising events, business sponsorships, and both snail mail and online fundraising appeals. We seek someone with strong high level planning and management and relationship skills who is also able and willing to execute essential day-to-day tasks. The Development Director will supervise a fundraising staff of 1.5 FTE, plus a grant-writing contractor, support our all-volunteer governing Board of Directors in meeting their fundraising goals, and engage and support volunteer solicitors and fundraisers.
This is a great opportunity for a resourceful, results-driven team player to be part of a dynamic team at a feisty, fearless women’s health non-profit. We are looking for a highly collaborative and skilled fundraiser who is passionate about BCAction’s mission and work and will help grow the organization’s donor base. We have a large grassroots membership base and nearly 75% of our revenue comes from individual donors. Our current annual budget is a little under $1 million, almost all of it raised from individuals, foundations or through events. The Development Director will lead and implement a fundraising strategy to reach $1.3 million by 2019. The Development Director works closely with and reports to the Executive Director, works collaboratively with Communications and Program, and serves as a member of the management team within the organization.
- Develop and implement sustainable organizational fundraising strategy to grow annual revenues
- Develop and execute annual fundraising plans to meet or exceed revenue targets and monthly projections for individuals, foundations, and businesses
- Promote and cultivate organization-wide culture that supports fundraising
- Supervise and support development team to achieve goals and uphold the highest standards
- Support Board of Directors in meeting their give-and-get commitment and fundraising goals
- Support, cultivate and expand base of fundraising volunteers on behalf of the organization
- Support and grow BCAction’s peer-to-peer fundraising activities nationwide
- Develop and reinforce systems for donor management, including prospecting, cultivation, gift processing, and data entry
- Oversee and support Development Officer in planning and executing fundraising events
- Oversee and support Development Associate in all aspects of their work
- Oversee and coordinate all foundation proposal development, tracking, and fulfilment of reporting requirements
- Support and strengthen the individual giving program, including development of individualized donor cultivation plans for all mid- and major-donors
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors
- Develop and expand planned giving program
- Uphold organizational values
- Minimum of five years of experience leading fundraising efforts, from setting strategy, to successful implementation, and direct execution of day-to-day tasks
- Demonstrated ability and experience with all aspects of fundraising and budgeting, including monthly projections, audit preparation, etc.
- Specific expertise in grassroots fundraising and proven track record of prospecting, cultivating, and managing donor relationships
- Commitment to social justice and passion for BCAction’s mission
- Commitment to accountability and transparency and willingness to protect against conflicts of interest with funders
- Excellent team player who enjoys working with strong, passionate, smart colleagues in a collaborative environment
- Results driven and persistent
- Detail and deadline-oriented with excellent organizational skills and oversight of systems
- Talented communicator able to embody and spread BCAction’s unique brand and voice
- Ability to motivate, inspire, and support others with excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent listener
- Ability and willingness to work some evenings and weekends as needed
- Fluency with Excel and Microsoft Office
- Understanding of and commitment to women’s health issues from a feminist perspective
- Fluency with Salesforce is a plus
Please email your resume and cover letter, highlighting relevant experience along with your salary requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Development Director”. No phone calls please.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. This position offers health insurance and paid time off benefits.
Breast Cancer Action is committed to equal opportunity in employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, sex, gender, age, disability, citizenship or veteran status as provided by law.